Whether you know it or not, mason jars are one of the most versatile items you can have in your RV. They’re great for meal prep, organization, decoration, and so much more! So instead of simply tossing or recycling a mason jar after you use it, wash it, dry it, and try one of these 12 creative ideas provided by Real Simple magazine. Click here to view the original article.
1. Bake Individual Cheesecakes – Fill your jars about 3/4 full with your favorite cheesecake mixture. Bake uncovered in a large oven-safe baking dish, filled with enough hot water to go three-quarters of the way up the jars. Bake until set (about 25 to 35 minutes). Let cool and top with preserves, fresh fruit, or any other toppings you like. Refrigerate for at least two hours until completely cooled and up to three days.
2. Organize Art Supplies – Clear glass jars are a fun and easy way for kids to find what they’re looking for, from crayons to glue sticks. For extra-long items, like pipe cleaners or colored pencils, simply remove the lid.
3. Use as Night Lights – Jazz up your family cookout or light up the kids’ bedrooms by filling a mason jar with one or two strands of battery-powered lights. Try white lights or colored lights depending on the look you’re going for!
4. Make a Sewing Kit – Keep your sewing supplies ready and organized by turning a mason jar into a sewing kit. Create a pin cushion on the top of the jar by separating the sealer from the screw cap. Place the sealer (bottom side up) on your favorite fabric and trace around the sealer with a pencil, leaving about an inch of extra room. Use a glue gun or adhesive to pipe glue around the rim then fold the fabric over, creating small bunches as you go around. When you are almost all the way around the rim, stuff some cotton batting between the fabric and lid. Then, finish folding and sealing the fabric to keep the cotton in place. Then add hot glue to the inside of the screw cap and press and hold the sealer in place until dry.
5. Organize Your Desk – Don’t let your kids have all the fun! You can use mason jars to organize your desk or office space as well. Try using different sized jars for items such as rubberbands, paperclips, pushpins, etc.
6. Beverage or Cocktail Containers – Make your drinks a little more special by serving them in a mason jar decorated perfectly for any occasion. Personalize drinks for your friends and family by adding cute decorative flags with each person’s initials.
7. Set the Mood – Mason jars serve as perfect containers to hold your favorite candles. Use them to illuminate your outdoor barbecue or for a romantic setting indoors.
8. Use as a Blender – What is more convenient and easy than blending your favorite smoothie or drink right in your glass? Blenders with detachable blades often screw right onto the top of small-mouth mason jars. Simply fill your jar with your favorite concoction, screw on the blender attachment, and use with your regular blender. Warning, we do not recommend using this technique with hot liquids as your glass may crack.
9. Breakfast or Dessert Parfaits – Whether you prepare these ahead of time or right when your stomach starts to growl, mason jars are the perfect vessel for serving delicious parfaits. For breakfast, try a combination of yogurt, fruit, granola and nuts. For dessert, fill your jar with cake, ice creams, nuts, toppings, and don’t forget the whipped cream! Here are some great ideas for mason jar desserts!
10. Keep Fresh Herbs – Keeping fresh herbs, such as basil, in your kitchen is easier than you think. To preserve basil, simply trim the ends and store in a mason jar filled with water. Not only will they help your kitchen smell great, but fresh herbs are a great addition to any dish!
11. Piggy Banks – Instead of having loose change scattered all throughout the camper or your cup holders, turn a mason jar into a handy piggy bank. Eventually all those pennies will add up!
12. Give Gifts – If you love to share your baked goods with others, especially around the holidays, mason jars are a cute way to package your favorite cookies, brownies, or homemade cake mixes. Try decorating your jars with paint, ribbons, or anything fun and festive!
For more fun tips for Camping and RVing, keep reading our blog for all the latest RV news, tips, tricks, and units, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram!